Dental hygienist is one of the jobs for promoting dental health and performing procedures for completing the dental practice. However, their job can be vary up to the demand which needed several training and qualifications. In everyday live, we can see that dental hygienist work mostly indoors which has the climate controlled buildings and spare a long time to work there. Anyway, when we are talking about a dental hygienist, there is more than just a dental hygienist job description. Here are some of the important information about dental hygienist which probably will be useful for them who are interested to become one.
What Are The Duties?
Before people choose to apply a job, it is important for them to understand what things that they will do later. Here is the job description in general which needed to be done by the procedures and protocols.
– Preparing the treatment room for the patient and the patient itself
– Providing the important information to the patients
– Maintaining the instrument for dental hygiene treatment
– Selecting the materials and equipment which will be used for each patient’s different needs
– Completing dental prophylaxis
– Detecting the disease on the patient
– Arresting dental decay
– Maintaining the appearance of the patient
– Helping dentist on managing dental and medical emergencies
– Giving education to the patients about oral hygiene, plaque control instructions, etc.
– Documenting services by recording and charting
– Maintaining the confidence of the patient and protecting the operation
– Maintaining the working place safeness and cleanness
– Protecting patients and employees by the procedures & protocols
– Ensuring the operation of dental equipment
– Conserving dental resources to accomplish the result of the job
– Maintaining the dental supplies inventory
– Maintaining the professionalism and technical knowledge
– Contributing to team effort
Anyway, the dental hygienist job description can be changed depends on the dentist.
Things Needed to be a Dental Hygienist
When people have already understand what they have to done, they will start to understand too what are the things they need to prepare and learn. However, there are several skills and qualifications which needed in order to be a dental hygienist. In fact, people can join the formal training which ranges from 2 years vocation or associates degree program for a Masters degree. However, here are the listed qualifications which commonly asked to be a dental hygienist:
– Use of Dental Technology
– Dental Health Maintenance
– Infection Control
– Health Promotion and Maintenance
– Bedside Manner
– Creating a Safe
– Effective Environment
– Administering Medication
Other than that, the dental hygienist must be licensed. This is applied in all 50 states and the U.S. Territories.
Most of the dental hygienists are working for dentist who usually has only about one or two dental hygienists. But there are also some of them who work for a major corporation or forming a group practice. Other than that, increases in salary and promotion will vary depends on the type of form that they are working for; whether with dentist or the other.
Other articles you might like;