Before we go straightly discuss the tips and steps on how to get dental hygiene jobs, let’s start with a brief introduction of the profession. A dental hygiene professional or also called dental hygienist has the responsibility to teaches patients how to maintain and clean their teeth. Other task for a dental hygienist is to examines the gums and teeth of the patients, remove the tarter and plaque, cleans the gums and teeth, takes dental x-rays as well as giving education about good dental and oral hygiene to their patients. Despite the simple job description the dental hygiene jobs are rewarded lucratively; you can get a flexible work schedule, nice benefits, dental perks as well as lucrative payment. For your information the salary rate per hour for a dental hygienist in the United States is about $25.52 – $38.73 or $48,997 – $74,378 a year. In short, it’s a good career choice for you.
The Steps to Get the Dental Hygiene Jobs
There are several steps you have to take in order to get the dental hygiene jobs, such as:
- Enroll in a dental hygienist program with the requirements: Having GED or high school diploma, at least 18 years old, able to pass the college entrance examination. You can choose a two year for associate or four year for bachelor degree.
- After getting the degree you have to pass the NBDHE or the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination as well as the state or regional clinical examination in order to be able to practice as professional dental hygienist. After you have passed the aforementioned examination you can be a Registered Dental Hygienist by applying for a state license.
- Now your job is to look for the job vacancy to fill in as a Dental hygienist. Firstly you have to make your resume and cover letter. As resume for other profession, you have to include identity and contact information, license and education, skills and work experiences. Cover letter has to contain your interest, goal and qualifications as dental hygienist. You should also list up to five professional references and letter of recommendation from each of them.
- Find dental hygiene jobs vacancy at the American Dental Hygienist Association and the American Dental Association. You can also get information by visiting career finding websites.
- Apply for the jobs. If you get called go to the scheduled interview and impress your future employer. You can get the follow up whether you get the dental hygiene jobs or not in one or two weeks.
Other articles you might like;